- Title: The Twelve Doctors of Christmas
- Series: BBC Books – Special Themed Short Story Collection
- Author: Various
- Note: Includes paintings for each story
- Characters: One story per Doctor, with companions
- Date Reviewed on GoodReads: 12/22/2016
The Twelve Doctors of Christmas is a wonderful, wonderful book. Everything about this book is just awesome and it would make for a great Christmas gift for Doctor Who fans young and old. The presentation of this book is impressive – it’s a cloth-bound hard cover with incredible full-color art paintings – one per story. There is one short story per Doctor and one painting per story. The paintings are bound in groups, though, rather than as front pieces for each story, so you read four stories then get four pages of gorgeous art. Still, the full-color paintings are beautiful and aptly illustrate each story.
There are twelve short stories in the collection – one per Doctor, and the stories also feature many of the Doctor’s well-known companions. Each story also has a theme of Christmas – but it’s interpreted by the various authors in a broad way, so we get stories that range from Barbara and Ian “going home for the holidays” to the Seventh Doctor and Ace trying to rescue a crashed alien from Macy’s at Christmas (after hours) and trying to also save the few workers in the store. All the stories are inventive and approach the Holiday differently. It’s a wonderful collection.
This was an uplifting and fun read – and I could see myself re-reading it every year. It’s a beautiful presentation as a book, a great gift, and an enjoyable read. I simply loved it – and it was good to read at this time of year.
Stories, Doctor, Companion(s), Authors
- All I Want for Christmas (First Doctor, Barbara, Ian) – Jacqueline Rayner
- A Comedy of Terrors (Second Doctor, Jamie, Zoë) – Colin Brake
- The Christmas Inversion (Third Doctor, Jo Grant, UNIT) – Jacqueline Rayner
- Three Wise Men (Fourth Doctor) – Richard Dungworth
- Sontar’s Little Helpers (Fifth Doctor, Tegan, Turlough) – Mike Tucker
- Fairy Tale of New New York (Sixth Doctor, Mel) – Gary Russell
- The Grotto (Seventh Doctor, Ace) – Mike Tucker
- Ghost of Christmas Past (Eighth Doctor) – Scott Handcock
- The Red Bicycle (Ninth Doctor, Rose) – Gary Russell
- Loose Wire (Tenth Doctor) – Richard Dungworth
- The Gift (Eleventh Doctor) – Scott Handcock
- The Persistence of Memory (Twelfth Doctor) – Colin Brake