- Series Title: White Collar
- Season: 1
- Cast: Matt Bomer, Tim DeKay, Willie Garson, Tiffani Thiessen
- Original Network: USA Network
- DVD Production Network: 20th Century FOX
- Originally published on my Live Journal (now hosted on Dreamwidth): 03/09/2010
LOTS of SPOILERS – be warned
This review is my original reaction to the last episode of Season 1 of White Collar, “Out of the Box”. This is originally posted as it was to my Live Journal, although I am fixing a few typos and formatting issues.
Man, oh man – the further along the episode went the more of a disaster I was expecting. It just felt like Neal was a doomed man – walking to his death.
Things I really didn’t expect – Fowler going after Elizabeth. That completely surprised me. It probably shouldn’t have, but it did.
However, the scene between Neal and Peter on Peter’s deck (or porch or whatever), was one of my favorites from the entire season. I especially liked the way Neal reminded Peter he had said that ‘Kate was his weak point’ and then pointed out that Elizabeth was Peter’s weak point. It wasn’t mean spirited or vicious on Neal’s part but more of a way to get Peter to understand.
I also really loved the scene of June saying goodbye to Neal. I almost cried. And the scene where Neal said goodbye to Moz also made me almost cry, though I figured they’d be in contact with each other again.
The last scene though man oh man – the forums are going to go NUTS! There was so much angst in Peter’s face. And everything he said made sense, but all Neal could think of was Kate. It just HURT to watch. And when Neal handed over his FBI credentials and actually thanked Peter for them, oh man.
And THEN Kate’s plane blows up. Jeeezzz!
The emotions and yelling from both Neal and Peter, and the way Peter holds Neal back was just exquisite angst. And the way Neal kept struggling in Peter’s arms, trying to get to the plane – and Peter held him back, oh man. Wow! They weren’t kidding about it being a shocking finale. I can NOT wait to see the fall out from this.
I did notice a couple of things.
First, I think Neal was meant to be on that plane. I think next season we will see Peter telling Neal this, and maybe even having Neal playing dead.
Second, you can see Kate or someone in the plane just until Neal turns around to head back to the plane. I hate to say it but she might have sneaked out the back door, or it might not have been her.
I think Fowler set it up as a self-cleaning operation. Fowler had the explosion set on a timer. Neal should have been there – if Peter hadn’t shown up… if he and Neal hadn’t talked… if Neal hadn’t taken a moment to actually think about maybe staying with Peter and in New York… Neal would have been a goner. That should be the first thing Season 2 will deal with.
Things we STILL don’t know.
1. Was Kate loyal to Neal or not? We never, ever really saw her. It might not have been her on the plane. Heck, she could have actually set the explosion and slipped out (her silhouette mysteriously disappears) though I think it was on a timer (otherwise they would have waited until Neal was on the plane).
2. What exactly was Mentor? Was Neal really working for Fowler that whole time?
3. Who was Fowler reporting to? Somebody was pulling his strings too.
4. WHAT’s the deal with the music box? The thing has turned into a MacGuffin, and I want to know what it means!!! Especially, since as part of illegal spoils of war – it can’t be traded, sold, or even transported across borders.